The Cleveland Dam is a concrete dam at the head of the Capilano River in North Vancouver, that holds back Capilano Lake, also known as Capilano reservoir. Part of the Capilano River Regional Park, it is not used for generating hydroelectricity, but rather for storing a portion of the Lower Mainland’s drinking water. It was started in 1951 and completed in 1954, and is named after Ernest Cleveland, first chief commissioner of the Greater Vancouver Water District.
Unlike the rest of Canada, we didn’t receive a lot of snow this Winter. Right now the snowpack in the mountains is melting and a large volume of water is flowing over the dam.